Dienstag, 16. Juli 2013

Farewell



Farewell and Goodbye,
It is the 16 of July 2013 and a day before I leave for Malaysia for 11 months. While the shoe problem has been overcome (4 pairs of flip flops and 4 pairs of normal shoes), I am still concerned about the weight limit for the suitcase, last time I checked mine weighed 23kg.



23 kilos seems a lot, at first. But by closer examination I came to the conclusion: that it is next to nothing. Going through the contents of my suitcase I realize how heavy everything is. The suitcase weighs 4 kilos on its own; every pair of shoes seems to weigh at least another kilo and as a son of a pharmacist I will be taking with me roughly 4 kilos of medicine, although Malaysia has a very good health system. 





Besides those minor packing difficulties I am spending my time saying goodbye to close friends.  All of whom are very supportive, for which I am very grateful. Overall there has not been anyone who had a negative response for my plan of action for the next year. Except our babycat Flocke who is not letting me pack.




As a true Berliner I have already undergone the “last Döner Kebab for a year” celebration, which was one of the saddest moments overall. 
On a serious note, my farewells have not been too difficult because they have come gradually during the last month. It began with me saying goodbye to my older sister Thesi, who lives in Bavaria, followed by Max who is in California at the moment. My younger sister Katha left (as usual) to go on a week of horseback riding in Brandenburg. As fewer and fewer people remain in Berlin it becomes easier to look forward.
Especially because I will not be traveling alone, but rather in a group of, who I consider, newly won friends. 

Tobi




2 Kommentare:

  1. Dear Tobi,

    Thanks for the update. It seems to me you should get an extra shoe weight allowance. If it's a problem at the airport, considering giving up some drugs as a bribe. Last, but not least, make sure you don't pack Flocke.

    If you find yourself in desperate need of shoes, please post, and we will send an emergency package.

    Gute Reise! Tante Gecks

    AntwortenLöschen