Montag, 5. Januar 2015

Memoirs of a Volunteer



I wrote this a couple of weeks ago and never came around to uploading it. But here it is, my last blogpost, for a while at least. 



Tobias Volkmer – Memoirs of a Volunteer
My year abroad is over, and as I reflect on it I realize how much has happened in these last months. Starting off with a rough start in July and August transitioning to highlights such as staying with a host family or traveling through South East Asia, I think of all the up´s and down´s, and how I’ve grown, not only in width but also as an individual throughout this experience.
When you plan to leave Germany in July, you generally have no Idea of what that means. When I first applied to American Field Service (AFS) I was only 17, not done yet with my Abitur and had absolutely no Idea of what I was getting myself into. I did not think of how I was going to spend Christmas in Thailand or my Birthday in Malaysia. In hindsight it feels like I did only a limited amount of thinking during that time.
My second and permanent workplace was a learning center in the heart of Georgetown, Penang, which provided me with a wide variety of experiences throughout the year. These included occasional sessions with students, where I was able to teach English and Math, group therapy, two vacation camps with our students, and also dull moments where there was nothing for me to do. As a compensation for a rather mellow work atmosphere, I was given the chance to use my time wisely and enjoy South East Asia. In separate holidays I traveled to Hong Kong, Thailand, Cambodia and Sri Lanka.
Even though I felt like quitting early off, due to my first work placement, I think that exactly these, more difficult experiences, are the ones that have defined me the most throughout the year. During these hardships I learned the value of family and friendship. Without the support of my family and my friends back home and especially my new found friends among the other volunteers I could not have survived 335 days in Malaysia.
And that is why I find it especially important to thank them all at this point. To the guys in Penang who suffered my complaints all year long, thank you so much for your support and your honesty. I had a lot of fun eating at the famous Komtarinder and drinking at Antarabangsa. Even though we might not be the best, we certainly are the most enthusiastic karaoke group, even if a karaoke bar is nowhere to be found.
As to my family back home I cannot express in words my gratitude for their never ending support and their uncanny ability to make me feel like I was not missing out on life in Berlin. I am especially grateful as to how they brought Christmas to Thailand via Skype.
As one chapter of life ends another chapter begins. I have started my studies at the Europa Universität Viadrina in Frankfurt Oder where I plan to do my Bachelor.
After my homecoming in June, I applied to 18 different Universities across Germany.  After a few weeks I was overwhelmed by the responses. I ended up choosing the Viadrina for a variety of reason. Not only is it a small University with only 6.700 pupils, but it also offers a very unique course called Wirtschaft und Recht (Business and Law). While 2/3 of the bachelor consists of the standard business courses such as accounting and international management, the other third allows you an insight into the seeming chaos that is German law.  I am very glad to say that after three months of studying I neither regret my choice of University and bachelor.
My decision to work as a volunteer, after graduating High School has been one amazing roller-coaster ride of an experience. It had its ups, it had its downs, but that has become part of me and has helped me grow as an individual. I am convinced that without this year I would not possess the necessary discipline to be a successful student.
I left Malaysia with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. Thank you all for the great time and for supporting me by reading my Blog.
Tobias Volkmer




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen