Donnerstag, 30. Januar 2014

Thailand and Cambodia



2014. What a year this is going to be. 

I hope all of you had pleasant Holidays and a good start into the New Year.
I have another 5 months left in Malaysia, and after that it seems as if I am going to go and study. What will I study some may ask. Truth be told, I really don’t know. But I still have some time to figure things out. I hope.
But those are by far not the only major events of 2014. My little sister will go on 8th grade Ski Trip with her class and my older, although at least 20 centimeters smaller, sister will visit me here in Malaysia. Besides that I am also turning 19 and this year will also be the 2 year anniversary of the end of the world in December 2012.

2 Way Center Camp Kulim
My project does not only offer private sessions for our students, but also vacation camps. These 6 day camps aim to improve the social- as well as the self-help skills of the individual children. For most of the 35 children it is one of the first times staying somewhere overnight without their parents, a bit like my year in Malaysia. The 35 kids and the 18 volunteers stayed in a small compound/resort in the middle of a plantation. More often than not we spent our time playing badminton or went swimming in the river. Overall the camp was a huge success and I had tons of fun, even if I was completely exhausted afterwards.

Koh Phi Phi
Somehow I had managed to get three weeks of vacation for Christmas and Sylvester. It was a bizarre constellation of national holidays and school holidays which gave me the opportunity to go traveling around South- East Asia for a bit. We started our trip by taking a bus from Penang, that’s the place where I live, to the beautiful island of Koh Phi Phi. We spent around 4 days on this magnificent island, including Christmas. As it was my first Christmas without my family it felt like one of the biggest challenges of this year abroad, so far. But I overcame that obstacle as well by having a great Skype session with my family. We unpacked presents and I even had a Christmas tree (a little plastic tree that lights up) under which lay my presents. The obvious highlight was my cat, Flocke, who unpacked her angry birds toy, that I had sent her from Hong Kong. I cannot thank my family enough who managed to make it feel like Christmas some thousand kilometers away. And they managed, even though I had a horrible Wi-Fi connection.


  
this is what Christmas with the Family looks like in 2014 




 Day 1 approaching Koh Phi Phi by boat


Day 2 We took a Kayak to a rather remote beach




I want this Monkey!!


 Day 3 we went on a Snorkeling tour


Maya Bay


The classic Maya Bay view


Our Boat


Selfie to end the trip


Bangkok
After Koh Phi Phi and a short stop in Phuket we took a bus to Bangkok. What we didn’t realize was that it would take solid 16 hours in the bus to get from Phuket to Bangkok.   So when we arrived at the bus terminal, at 2 in the morning, we were happy that we had, for once, already booked a hostel. Maybe we did not get to see the correct places, but I did not fall in love with Bangkok.
 





 A Tuk Tuk


The old Custom House of Bangkok


 Vintage Fitness Studio


 Eating Coconut Ice Cream out of a Coconut


Siem Reap
From Bangkok we once again took a bus to Siem Reap in Cambodia. Outside of Siem Reap are world famous temples such as Ankor Wat.  Due to the never ending streams of tourists from all over the world, to the temples, Siem Reap has a lot of Restaurants and Shops. There is not much to say about Siem Reap and Ankor Wat besides that I had the luxury of doing a Fish Spa. And let me tell you, it is one of the weirdest feelings. What happens is that you place your feet in an aquarium and the fish inside eat all of the dead skin which is on your feet. For some reason the Fish seemed to enjoy my feet more than any others. After being swarmed for 20 minutes my feet shrunk from shoe size 45 to 42.
As I am not going to bore you with more text, 

Enjoy the Pictures of the Temples ;)




Driving throgh Cambodia


 The famous temple: Ankor Wat


Just some old wall carvings....


The size is unbelievable



Next temple, forgot the name



 I thought this looked rather cool



The tree holds the temple together.


This one is a no-brainer... the elephant temple



Killing Fields close to Phnom Phen
I was very torn about what to write about the killing fields. But I have decided to make it short and simple.
The killing fields were the execution sites used by the communist Khmer Rouge regime from 1975 to 1979. During these 5 years of the regime about 1.4 million Cambodians were executed by the Pol Pot regime. The total estimates of deaths due to regimes policies are estimated from 1.7 to 2.5 million people who died of starvation, diseases or were executed at the killing fields out of the 8 million people who lived in Cambodia in1975.
While looking at one of these fields I was rather overwhelmed by the horrors that took place where I was standing, not even 30 years ago. I was completely unprepared for such an intense experience, partly because before I went there I had only learned the bare minimum about Cambodia in school. 


The Memorial for the Regime Rouge Victims


On our way home our Tuk Tuk driver found a Fish on the road.... he was very happy


Kampot
Kampot is a very small village in Cambodia located on a river. Although there is nothing to do, we had a terrific time there. We slept in a little hut close to the river and spent our days in an hammock reading books, listening to music and eating delicious food. It was a great way to end our stay in Cambodia and sort of end our three weeks of well-deserved vacation.




Working the rice fields





These two are the most adorable kids ive ever met









Bangkok Shutdown
Since we had booked our flight back to Penang before we decided to go to Cambodia, we had to be in Bangkok by the 13th of January since it was the day of our flight. For those who have glanced at a newspaper in the last month might know that on the 13th of January the Thai opposition restarted their protests: “Shutdown Bangkok”. We had left Cambodia on the 11th and had the 12th to look at the camps and preparations that were being made. And although everyone was extremely peaceful and very kind to us, I have to admit that I was more than shocked by what I saw. 



  A lot of people were out and about


 making helmest



or bullet proof vests


Now I am back in Penang working and writing this blog. Since I have returned from my vacation a lot has happened. I got to celebrate Thaipusam and hit my roommate in the head with a coconut. You will find the corresponding pictures and the entire story in my next blog which I will post in two or three weeks’ time.

And as always thank you for reading my blog. I am always more than happy to answer any questions or inquiries some of you might have… It means that there are people who actually read what I write. :D
See you soon,
Tobi

tmvolkmer@hotmail.de

1 Kommentar:

  1. Hey Tobi - Jeremy and I just read your latest post and are amazed at the pictures and the awesome experience you are having! Alles Liebe, Tante Gecks und Jeremy

    AntwortenLöschen