Montag, 12. August 2013

Selamat Hari Raya!



Here I sit in a bus, 
on my way from Ipoh to Kuantan, writing my newest blog, palm trees flashing by on the left and right of me. Our trip has finally begun after changing our route plan 3 times due to heavy traffic and having to stay in Ipoh a day longer than planned. But now finally we are sitting safely, more or less, in a bus. You might ask: Tobi what are you doing in Ipoh and why is there heavy traffic?
The heavy traffic is caused by the end of Hari Raya. Hari Raya is a Muslim holiday and celebrates the end of the fasting month, Ramadan.  It could be considered a Muslim version of Christmas just without a tree. 
As all of you might know I live in Georgetown, on the island Penang, but for Hari Raya I left my new home town and traveled, along with 6 other AFS boys, to Ipoh to celebrate. I arrived on Monday the 5. August in Ipoh and met my host family. I had the true privilege to live in a mansion with two of my friends from AFS and my entire host family. As people were coming and going all the time it is hard to say how many were in the house at one time, but I would say at least 30 people stayed at Dato’s place. “Dato and Datin” are not actual names but rather titles, like “Sir” in England.
What I did the entire week?
Well on Tuesday and Wednesday (the last two days of fasting) I joined my host family in fasting. This rather unusual experience was definitively worth the effort. To fast correctly, one has to stop eating and drinking at sun up, which was at about 6:45 until sunset which was at 19:32.
  In the morning we woke up at around 5:00 to eat breakfast with the entire family (well those who were fasting) and then went back to bed again at 7:00. I have to admit that not eating and drinking for an entire day was for me very challenging. Especially not to drink is difficult because of the heat. But if you overcome your hunger and thirst, you will appreciate the food even more at the breaking of fast.
Fasting was not the only thing I did in Ipoh.  Because my host father has about 8 horses we were able to go horseback riding. Thinking of my little sister while doing so, I professionally mounted up and rode around in circles. To my delight there were not only two fouls, but also a cat with a mustache.
My host family was kind enough as to buy me my own traditional Malay suit (picture below) and teach me the art of tying a sarong (skirt for men). With my new outfit I was ready to go around Ipoh and go from one open house to another.  One of the so called “houses” was the gigantic mansion of the Sultan here in Perak (a state in Malaysia).
There were around 7000 people at this event eating, waiting and wanting to take pictures with the one of only europeans around (that would be me).

Horseback riding like a professional.



This picture is for my younger sister Katha (hope you enjoy)



My Host Family for Hari Raya and the other two  AFS Volunteers.




Us three Europeans



My host Uncle and I


 Our backyard for the open house (1500 guest were expected)



And as always I am very grateful that you took your time to read my blog, I am sorry that it was uploaded incomplete at firts... but that is the internet here for you. If you have any questions, feel free to write me an e-mail at tmvolkmer@hotmail.de

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen